After checking in we went for a walk around the city. We headed straight for the river front which I was a bit disappointed by. It was spring break and it felt like it was just full of college kids getting drunk, it wasn't a great first impression of Savannah. As soon as we got away from the riverfront we got to see how lovely Savannah really is. The buildings and trees are beautiful. We walked to the square where Forrest Gump sits waiting for the bus (there isn't actually a bus stop or bench there!).
On Sunday morning we got up early and drove to Fort Pulaski. We were the first people to arrive and had the whole place to ourselves. It was a really interesting place and strangely, we were watching the new film The Conspirator last night and a huge amount of the film was filmed there. We had no idea, it was weird that we were there just a few days ago.
On our way back to Savannah we stopped off for a short stop at the beach at lovely Tybee Island.
For Sunday afternoon I had made reservations at Paula Deene's restaurant Lady & Sons. Paula is a celebrity chef, she is a real Southerner with big bouffant hair and an amazing accent. She owns the restaurant with her 2 sons who also have their own cookery programmes. Usually you can't make reservations but as it was Easter Sunday, I had been able to book in advance.
When we arrived we were sent to a waiting area which felt like a doctor's waiting room. It was packed with people and I started to think we'd made a massive mistake and it was going to be awful. We were only 10 minutes late being seated and it was definitely worth the wait. It was an all you can eat buffet brunch, we both started with salad, there was a strange dish that at first I thought was potato salad but it turned out to be whipped cream, with bits of peach in it and mini marshmallows! After salad we filled our plates with some proper Southern food - fried chicken, mac and cheese, collard greens, mashed potato, etc, it was amazing!
After one plate I was completely full. I tried to eat a bit more but couldn't manage it. We still had pudding to eat too! I tried the peach cobbler and Chris had a gooey butter pudding that is Paula's speciality. They were tiny portions but we only managed a couple of mouthfuls each because we both so full. We noticed that the turnaround of people is quick, most people were leaving after about 45 minutes, even though it's an all you can eat buffet, it's such filling food you can't really eat much. We managed to waddle out of the restaurant and went for a slow walk around the beautiful Savannah squares to Forsyth Park.
No comments:
Post a Comment