Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Wisconsin and Minnesota

After leaving Chicago we drove north to Minnesota.  Someone that we met in Chicago had recommended a good route to us which was off the interstate.  It was a beautiful drive through lots of small towns and autumn colours.

We had been told that we had to stop for cheese curds in Wisconsin and that there would be loads of places selling them.  We drove past a couple of cheese shops then decided to stop at the third one that we passed.  They had some huge sacks of cheese curds but we only wanted a small bag so we decided to wait and stop somewhere else for them.  Of course we then managed to then drive across Wisconsin without seeing anywhere else selling them!

We stopped for dinner in a little town called LaCrosse.  We found a little Chinese tea shop that served dim sum which was a perfect light meal for us after all the food that we had eaten in Chicago.  Although we did also find an old fashioned ice cream parlour and couldn't resist having some.  We had originally thought we might spend the night in LaCrosse but then decided to push on to make it to Minneapolis for bed time.


I wasn't expecting much from Minneapolis, we had only planned to go there to see a baseball game so I hadn't really planned anything else to see there.  It was actually a really nice city and Chris did a bit of research in the hotel room and found us a few sights to see.

The first was a sculpture garden with a giant cherry on a spoon!


As we wondered around the city we passed a hotel with a load of people queued up outside.  As we got closer we realised that they were all Yankees fans and that the team must have been staying there.  There were only a handful of people around so we considered standing with them but then decided that would be a really sad way to spend the little time that we had in the city.  We walked around a bit more then as we walked back past the hotel we noticed that there was now a coach parked outside so we thought we might as well stop for a bit to see if we could see anyone.  I think by the time that we got there most of the team must have been on the coach, we saw a couple of players board but we didn't recognise either of them.  

We only had a few hours to look around the city, if we had more time we would have liked to have visited the Mill City museum.  We had to settle for a quick look around outside but if we ever find ourselves back in the city we'll try to go inside.



We had booked club level seats at the Minnesota Twins baseball game just in case it got a bit chilly we'd be able to go inside.  I'm glad we did, it wasn't freezing but we were sat in the shade so it was good to pop inside every so often to warm up.

On one of our trips inside we went to have a look at the shop.  As we were walking back towards the area that our seats were in, I noticed a really tall guy walk through the doors at the end of the corridor.  He was coming towards us with 2 girls and another guy.  He was a long way away so I couldn't see his face, just that he was tall with dark hair.  I was mucking around and joked to Chris that Ashton Kutcher was walking towards us.  He just laughed at me but the guy got closer and closer to us and just as we got right up to him Chris and I both looked at each other and said 'that's Josh Harnett'!  I used to be totally in love with him when I was at university so I then became a complete excited mess.  I'm kicking myself now for not pulling myself together and taking a photo.  Although my last words as we left our hotel room that morning were that I looked a complete mess but oh well it didn't matter, it wasn't like we were going to see anyone worth looking nice for in Minneapolis!  Famous last words!




We noticed cheese curds on the menu at one of the fast food places so we thought we'd better try them. They were deep fried so I'm not sure they were quite like our friends told us to try and they definitely weren't very healthy but they tasted good!


After the game we headed over to St Paul to look at Peanuts Park, it was so cute!



We couldn't come all the way to Minneapolis and not stop at the Mall of America!  I thought it was the largest mall in the US but apparently it's the second largest.  It is ridiculous, it has a fairground in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment