On my return from the UK on Sunday I flew into New York and Chris got a bus up from Washington to meet me there. It was my first time in New York so we had decided to try to do lots of sightseeing. Unfortunately as soon as we arrived we realised that wasn't going to be possible because it was pouring it down with rain.
Monday morning we went for an amazing pancake breakfast at Good Enough to Eat and then we'd planned to go to the Guggenheim. We walked in the rain across Central Park and when we got to the museum the queue was absolutely huge, everyone had obviously had the same idea about escaping the rain. So we thought instead of queuing we'd walk down to the Met. When we got there it was closed! Who closes a museum in the middle of New York every Monday! Idiots! By now we were completely soaked. I had my umbrella as I was prepared for UK weather but Chris had just come in a little jacket because the weather in Washington has been hot and sunny.
Then we decided that maybe we'd go and try to get tickets to a matinee performance at one of the theatres just to get out of the rain. So we walked down towards Times Square. Everyone has always said how amazing New York is but I just wasn't feeling it at all, it was just wet and busy! Just as we were waiting to cross a road I remember saying 'This is such a shit day!'. To top it all off the ticket office at Times Square was shut so in a huge strop I said right let's go back to the hotel. I think this panicked Chris a bit and he pulled a little box out of his pocket and told me to open it. Inside was a little note saying I could have any ring in the world that I wanted, then he asked me to marry him! I was so completely shocked but managed to say yes!
It wasn't quite the proposal that he had planned. He had booked a boat in Central Park and had planned to propose in the middle of the lake but because of the rain it had been cancelled. He had seemed in a bit of a funny mood and I had thought it was just because of the rain but now I know he was disappointed about not being able to do that. He had then thought he'd be able to do it in one of the museums but obviously we didn't make it to one of them and so finally when I said we should go back to the hotel he thought he'd better go for it in the middle of Times Square! He had booked reservations at Robert De Niro's restaurant that evening and wanted to do it before then so Times Square was his last chance! It was the last thing I was expecting, I was so surprised! Suddenly it didn't seem like such a bad day after all.
On Tuesday we had an another amazing breakfast at Market Diner and then decided to go back to the museums again. Again the queues were huge so we decided to give them a miss again and went for a walk in the pouring rain in Central Park. We had a look around some shops and then it was time to get the bus back to DC. Four hours later my fiance and I were home!
Yesterday we took a trip to Tiffany's to buy the ring. We'd had a look in the Tiffany's in New York but I couldn't decide so I had some time to think about it then chose it yesterday. I love it!
Thursday, 1 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment