Chris says that I am a real house geek. I absolutely love visiting houses so walking around mansion houses is a dream day for me! I think there are about 9 mansions that you can actually tour in Newport but we only had time to do one so I chose the grandest - the Breakers. On Saturday morning, we were waiting outside for it to open at 9am and were the second couple in beating all the crowds that we saw arriving later.
I have toured loads of houses but this one was just something else, I thought it was amazing. It was built in 1895 by Cornelius Vanderbilt and the decoration downstairs in particular was so grand, the walls in one room were even lined with platinum!
One of the things that I really enjoyed about the tour is that we were able to walk around the whole house. I'm always disappointed when you look around somewhere and find that most of the rooms are closed off but you were literally able to walk through everywhere on the first 2 levels including the bathrooms and kitchens.
I would love to return to Newport at some point and spend a few days here, after all I still have another 8 houses to see!


No comments:
Post a Comment