Saturday, 24 December 2011

Hawaii - Day 4, Kauai


Christmas Eve was my birthday.  It is the first time that I've ever spent my birthday anywhere hot so it felt really weird.  I'm used to my birthday being all about the build up to Christmas and it felt strange to have it feel like just a normal day.

After a buffet breakfast at the hotel we went for a walk along the beach.




When we got back to the hotel room Chris gave me my birthday present, a Tiffany bracelet.


We spent the morning at the hotel pool then in the afternoon we drove to other side of the island for a boat trip that we had booked to go around the Napali coast. When we arrived they told us that the sea was too rough to get to Napali so they were going to be going in the opposite direction so we could cancel if we wanted to. I had really wanted to see the Napali coast and wasn't bothered about seeing anything else so we cancelled.

 It was supposed to be a sunset dinner trip so now we had to quickly try to get a dinner reservation for that evening. Luckily Chris managed to get us into a restaurant that I wanted to go to even though it was fully booked, just because he was English!

With an unexpected afternoon to suddenly fill, we headed to Wailua Falls first...


Then Menehune Fishpond...


Kalapaki Beach...


A ridiculously big, but very delicious cherry shaved ice...


And coconut juice, mmmmmm. I first had this in Rio and was very excited to see you could get it in Hawaii too. It doesn't taste like coconut at all, just very refreshing fruit juice.


My birthday meal at 22 North was really good. We both had shrimp bisque for a starter, then beef and I had a pineapple pie for dessert which was amazing. All of the tables are outside in a veranda around the building and there are big firepits, we had one right next to our table. The photo below isn't very good but you can get an idea of what it was like. The paper bag on the table was the bag of doughnuts that Chris had for dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment