Sunday, 25 December 2011

Hawaii - Day 5, Kauai

They say that you see a rainbow every day in Hawaii and on Christmas morning we woke up to see a huge rainbow stretching across the sky.


After skype calls with our families we went out for a Christmas morning walk. We planned to walk to Ninini Point Lighthouse but ended up at Kukai Point after a wrong turn. It was still a good walk and gave us a great view of Kalapaki beach (you can just about see another rainbow in the top right corner!).




One of the weird things about Kauai is that there are chickens and cockerels everywhere! They are literally everywhere you look. It's very strange to be swimming in a lovely pool with chickens around the edge of it! After our walk we headed back to the hotel to spend the day at the pool, not a bad way to spend Christmas Day.



We had a quick walk on the beach before our Christmas dinner which we had booked at a local restaurant Hukalai Lanai.  


The starter was delicious curried lobster bisque and then the main course was turkey.  I enjoy having turkey for Christmas dinner and while I realised that this year was going to be a bit different I wasn't expecting it to be as disgusting as it was!  I think the turkey must have been brined which is quite a popular thing to do in America, it basically means that it has been soaked in salt water.  It was horrible, so salty.  Chris ended up eating most of mine.  


Apart from a disappointing Christmas dinner, we had a great first hot and sunny Christmas.  I'm still undecided about whether I'd go away for Christmas again, maybe I'd do it once every few years but I like a traditional Christmas so I don't think I'd do it every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment